History of the Jokioinen Municipality
Permanent residence spread to Jokioinen in the 1300s. In 1631, Jokioinen was established as part of the parish of Tammela, and it became an independent parish in 1693. The municipality of Jokioinen was founded in 1873, following a separation from Tammela.
The history of Jokioinen is tightly interwoven with the Jokioinen Estate. The Estate was established in 1562, when the King Eric XIV of Sweden granted the land to Klaus Horn. It developed into the largest estate in Finland during the time of the provincial governor Ernst Gustaf von Willebrand who moved to the Estate towards the end of the 18th century. Governor von Willebrand died in 1809, before he had managed to bring all of his plans to reality, but by early 1900s, the Estate had acquired a corn mill, a saw mill, a brick factory, a steel plant and sugar and syrup factories.
As a result of the Tenant Farmers' Act of 1918 and the Land Acquisition Act of 1945, the Estate was divided into more than 1500 homes and small farms. The rest of the Estate was transferred to the ownership of the Finnish state in 1918. In 1928, the Department of Finnish Plant Breeding was transferred to the Estate from Tikkurila and, in 1957, the observatory from Pasila was transferred there as well.
The starting point for the formation of the municipality of Jokioinen came in 1865 with the Regulation on County Government, which ordered local government and religious authorities to be separated in the countryside. At that time, the Tammela parish municipality included Jokioinen, Humppila and Perttula (present-day Ypäjä). On the 6th of December 1866, it was decided to form a mutual county board to administer the duties of the parish municipality. However, this was found to be unmanageable. After six years of experimentation, the municipality decided to form its own local government on the 16th of November 1873. This was when the municipality of Jokioinen was officially established. At the same meeting B. G. Lindell was elected as the first chairman and Matti Kahilainen as the county board director. The 125th anniversary of the foundation of the municipality of Jokioinen was on the 9th of August 1998 and it was celebrated by a meeting of the council members on the 10th of August.
Keskuskatu 29 A, 31600 Jokioinen
Kunnanvirasto avoinna ma klo 9.00-16.30, ti-pe klo 9.00-15
Faksi 03 4384 025
Henkilöhaku (työntekijöiden ja luottamushenkilöiden yhteystiedot)
Sähköposti: yleensä muotoa: etunimi.sukunimi(at)jokioinen.fi
Virallinen sähköpostiosoite: jokioisten.kunta(at)jokioinen.fi